Saturday, January 16, 2010

Varland Story - Chapter 10 - Zeline

I'm altogether gobsmacked! After a lifetime of dedication to building up not merely the Doo Peas Corporation, but the entire Sunset Valley business community, Anders has been made redundant! One would think that missing the carpool once in fifty years could be overlooked, but apparently not! It's ironic, given how Anders chided Hayley for years that enforcing workers' rights would hobble a still fledgling economy, that now those workers' rights might have prevented his being so summarily kicked to the curb without so much as an old-age pension.

Upon hearing of Jiro's and my engagement, a donnybrook ensued about the celebration. No matter that having parties isn't done in Sunset Valley. Undoubtedly cowardly of me, but I couldn't face the drama and acrimony. We eloped over the weekend, just the two of us, at our favourite secluded beach spot.


I'm pregnant already! Jiro and I are both over the moon about it!


In her excitement about a grandchild, Mother has forgiven us for cheating her of a wedding celebration.


Hayley has no shortage of opinions about the rearing of said child. I shouldn't be so snide; honestly, I try not to.



I actually admire her tremendously; she's unrepentantly sui generis. While most of us bend ourselves into pretzel shapes to accommodate one another, she presumes that the world at large will supply whatever bending and accommodation might be necessary. I could only dream of being so bold.


Age hasn't curbed any of her old tricks.


She and Anders seldom speak; they've long since stopped sharing a bed.



Mother and Daddy are a good bit chummier; in this crowded space, there are moments of TMI.


Harald arrived on schedule, healthy and howling. With doting parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, he'll no doubt be spoilt beyond repair.











No comments:

Post a Comment