Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Varland Story - Chapter 24 - Bjarne

We're so close to a breakthrough I can taste it! There is no longer any reason for rationing.  Surpluses are piling up in the warehouses.  That's a carefully guarded secret, of course.  I've redoubled my commitment to win over hearts and minds, one by one, that we can end the shortages, once and for all, if we just clean house at City Hall.



It's slow going.  The oldtimers have one argument after another as to why the rationing should continue:  if we're too profligate with supplies, we might have worse shortages.  The rationing reminds us never to permit such a disaster to occur again.  Annoying the  Altos and their minions would bring back blood in the streets.There may be some truth to that last; though their extortion efforts are mostly pro forma these days, the day can come none too soon that those bloodsucking vermin are out of business altogether!

 
 
Progressive as she might be in some respects, even my dear sister-in-law urges everyone to persevere so that, in time, perhaps our children's children might see the end of rationing and shortages.  Meanwhile, be patient and thankful for all of the improvements that we've realised since our grandparents' time.
 
 
 
 
On a happier note, the garden is flourishing.  We have more fruits and vegetables than we can eat, enough to sell and even some to give as gifts.  I'm sure we'll live to see decorative gardens as well as kitchen gardens.  Mother would be so thrilled!

 
 
 


In Jody's opinion, this baby can come none too soon.  I tend to agree.  In fact, the entire family is cheering her along. 
 


Finally Eyvin makes his way into the world!


 
 
I treasure the all too rare moment with him. I strive in hopes that he'll enjoy a house and garden without remembering when buildings were limited to 8 X 8 and non-edible plants were banned.


 
Where has the time gone?  My son is a toddler! 


  
My nephew turned thirteen!
 
 

 

And my brother is now an old man. 
 



Who knows where Eyvin's dreams will take him? To the garden?
 


In his uncle's footsteps to the arena?

 
 
Or will they carry him into the realm of the imagination?



Or into the sky?


Absalon's dreams carry him along the path of the minstrel.

 
 
And mine have been realized today! The last of the Alto flunkies are out and I'm in!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment