Sunday, January 17, 2010

Varland Story - Chapter 14 - Zeline

Harald is asking questions about death. It's to be expected, nonetheless, I hope it doesn't become an obsession.

My Jiro is becoming quite the chef. Early on, the job with Hogan's was for the evening hours, so one or the other of us would always be at home to care for Harald. It turns out that Jiro has quite the gift for cooking. We are all fortunate beneficiaries; the other day he made grilled salmon. I've never had anything so delicious in my life.


Food and water are still quite scarce, of course. Fortunate as we are with Jiro's cooking talent, we're often hungry still.


We do our best to keep clean. Doogie tells us the day is near when safe running water will be available; I can barely dream of what that might be like.


The greenhouse plants are thriving. I can and do dream of green plants all about town in the air and sunlight.


Doogie's been named Surgeon of the Year in one of the medical journals, just after his thirtieth birthday, no less! Anyone else would become impossible over it, but he's still just Doogie.


Elizabeth is pregnant!


And so am I. Sacred Spleen now has a maternity unit that's the envy of the region and a boon to women throughout the valley. Yet, Harald was born at home, so quickly and easily that I doubt it's worth the commotion to pack up and go to hospital.


Clean running water is here! As seniour pregnant woman of the household, Elizabeth inaugurated our new shower. I'm right behind her!


Helmer is a fine healthy little carrot-top.



Bjarne arrived amid conniption fits from Mother, which didn't surprise me.


And from Doogie, which did. Who knew that a world renowned surgeon would come unglued over a cousin in labour? Perhaps next time I'll go to hospital just for the family's sake.


The lab has given me some seeds to plant at home! I'm beside myself about it, even having anxiety scenarios in which I'm forced into a Sophie's Choice between the seeds and my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment